Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Guess I'll get a new hot water heater today

Just what I was planning for the day. Wish I would have known so I could file my taxes LAST week and not two days ago.

Oh wait. It's been leaking off and on since September.

So therefore it would be my own fault and nobody else's that I didn't deal with it right then, and this morning had no hot water.

Man, that water coming straight out of the ground was REALLY cold when I washed my hair in the sink this morning. I have determined that people in Maine can not use electric tankless water heaters. At least not in winter. In winter the groundwater is too cold to be warmed up sufficiently by a tankless system before it comes out of the showerhead. I understand it is possible to have a gas tankless system, but I'm a big wimp about propane. When I was in junior high school, a house on the other side of the lake blew up one morning. I'm all good with propane, now, thanks.

The heating and plumbing person came this morning and told me it needed to be replaced. (It was put in the house sometime in the 90's as a five year tank. I kind of expected that it would need to be replaced. I have to say it did really well considering it's expected life span) The heating and plumbing person is waiting for his son to be available so they can come back this afternoon after the tank drains and install the new one. He ran a hose to the sump pump hole on the other end of the basement. But for some reason there still seems to be be water on the floor.

So now I get to stay home and wait for them to come back. Well, actually I've been filling bags with stuff to take to the donation bins and sorting all the stuff in my basement into cannot be saved, stuff I haven't used for years and can give away, stuff I haven't used for years and might be able to sell for cash, and stuff I haven't used for years but want to keep anyway. But I had to come upstairs for fresh air.

At least they can install it today.

In case you're wondering, the big box home improvement store CAN install a hot water heater on the same day. However, if you would actually like them to DO that, it will cost double the regular installation fee.

I suppose I could just heat up big pots of water on the woodstove. Just like in the old days.

The chickadees are outside flying around looking for the bird feeder. The chain broke, so the bird feeder is sitting on the snowbank right now. Mommy cardinal is looking for it too. The cat is staring at the birds.

Only three hours until they START putting in my water heater. Yipee!

No comments: