Monday, June 1, 2009

I get to stay up late!!

On the first four Tuesdays of June, I'm taking a training class. It's about something to do with supervision. To be honest, I don't care all that much. It's something to take so I can reach a goal on my self appraisal next spring when reviews and bonuses come up. I've been supervising people since I was 18. But since my job title does not currently include the word supervisor, here I am. Or there I will be tomorrow.

But the class has a couple good points. One..it's closer to my house than actual work. (and it in fact is within sight of the CDS office. I'll be able to see them from the window. Maybe she'll need a copy of a missing fax and I can walk up to the door when I'm still on the phone with her.

And, it doesn't start til 8am tomorrow. The rest of the classes are even better...they don't start until 8:30. That means I don't have to have Jupiter out of the house until 7:15 tomorrow morning. That's a whole two hours later than normal. And it means I don't have to get up at 4am. I undoubtedly will be up at 4am anyway, either going to lie down with Jupiter when she wakes up, or going back to my own bed after I wake up.

I probably won't like it when I'm still in the class at 4pm. But I better get used to it anyway, because come August after vacation, my early morning hours are changing. In the interest of Jupiter making (eventually) a successful transition to All day K, I will be changing my work hours. Perhaps I should share with my boss the fact that I plan to change my hours a little earlier than originally planned. When we are home for two weeks, Jupiter will automatically transition into sleeping later, so I figure I might as well work with it, instead of transitioning back to early early mornings, and then back to later mornings when school starts. This way, she'll be on the new schedule a full month before school starts. And then we can focus on adding school to the new schedule.

I'm lucky I have an understanding boss. I'm trying to move from my current work location to one closer to my home, for the same company. I've been trying to do this for a couple years, without success. The trick is, now, to find a job that they're willing to hire me for, that doesn't involve taking a pay cut. It's a very very small window, as it turns out. Even if you have worked for the company for 11 years and have great yearly reviews and prevent over a million dollars in losses annually. None of the jobs I can apply for require preventing a million dollars in losses anually. I'm debating between applying for the job I really would like, that I know would pay more, and the job I think I might actually get a call back for, which may or may not pay the same as I make now. Which I won't know until I actually get a call back and know who is doing the hiring and what they're willing to pay. Gone are the days when I could just call the hiring manager and ask them my questions and save us both wasting a lot of time. And when the rule is you can only apply for one job at a time, the lack of information becomes more frustrating.

But now it's after 9pm, and this morning I WAS up at 4am, and I can't focus on the screen anymore. Time for bed....and maybe 8 whole hours of sleep. zzzzzzzz

No comments: